SPEM REDUXIT -- Hope restored
Lieutenant-Colonel Ronald Bertin
Chief Warrant Officer Bruno Cyr
Carlton St Armoury
Fredericton, NB E3B 4Y1
Phone: (506) 460-7404
The 1st Battalion, The Royal New Brunswick Regiment (Carleton & York) is an Infantry Battalion with its headquarters (HQ) in Fredericton, NB. It has three companies (Coy), A Coy located in Edmundston, B Coy and Administration and Headquarters Coy (Adm & HQ Coy) located in Fredericton, and a platoon (Pl), located in Saint John.
Early History -The regiment was formed in the year 1787 to assist the regular Imperial troops with the defence of New Brunswick, a role which it fulfilled well. During the War of 1812 many Militia men enlisted in Fencible Regiments or Regiments of the Line -- the better to serve their King. By the year 1834, the Militia of Carleton and York Counties was comprised of five battalions; one each at Wicklow, Woodstock, Kingsclear, Douglas and Fredericton.
In 1954, the Carleton and York Regiment and the New Brunswick Scottish were amalgamated to form the First Battalion, The New Brunswick Regiment (Carleton and York), a designation to which the prefix "Royal" was added in 1956.
The regiment today still preserves the ideals of the colonial citizen-soldier and is the product of over 200 years of re-organizations, re-designations, three wars, alarums, hard work, bravery and loyalty. It is the focus of the affections of all those that served in it, it is a repository of tradition, and is a living memorial to those of its members who died for higher ideals in wars throughout the world. The regiment is a huge extended family of those who serve, those who have served and those who wish it well.
Continue reading about The Royal New Brunswick Regiment
If you are interested in joining the 1st Battalion, The Royal New Brunswick Regiment (Carelton & York) please contact our recruiting office at 1-877-5-GO ARMY ext 1 or visit the Canadian Forces recruiting website!
The 1st Battalion, The Royal New Brunswick Regiment (Carelton & York) train from September through to June on Thursday evenings (7:00 p.m. – 10:00 p.m.) and one weekend per month.